Sunday, March 30, 2008
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Monday, March 24, 2008
This guy, however, must be lost. He took a wrong turn from the 'hood.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
This morning I noticed he has a couple of new trees, two meditation pillows and an empty bottle of Jack Daniels - all donated by some happy person travelling by. !?!
Then I went to check out the land I have for sale. I discovered that the Easter Bunny became a resident yesterday and left me dozens of easter eggs.
A lot of them must be floating in the air - because they're not readily apparent. Sigh, guess I know what I'm doing today.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Sunday, March 16, 2008
I'm taking a lot of pictures in rl - spring flowers, shrubs etc. My dog is getting tired of walking. :)
So at least I'm working on textures and will have some new products when I get the island and manage to get set up on it.
I'm sure I'll look back on this period of relative inactivity with fondness at some point.
I've even been desperate enough to go shopping!
Monday, March 10, 2008
I've been trying to figure out what happens to your mainland tier fee if you go over a full sim in land holdings. If you go to the Land Pricing and Use Fees page on the web site you get this information:
(In square meters)
Monthly land use fee*
But I want to know what happens if you go over the 65,536 m2.
I've been to the support portal and searched on various arrangements of the words tier fees, sim, region, ownership, land etc. etc. etc. I can't find anything more than you get from the above table.
I've tried google searches to find the information and still get the same as you see in the above table.
I know something must happen - even if the tier fee is frozen at the full sim level, that's something. I know people own more than one sim - so what..... do they start the count at zero for the second sim and add the incremental fees to 1 full sim for the first?
So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try out Concierge Service. So I did a ticket asking "what happens to the mainland tier fees if you own more than 65,536 m2 of land?
Got my response today: From your account page the menu to the left says "Land pricing and usage fees" and a helpful link to the following information:
(In square meters)
Monthly land use fee*
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Sculptypaint has now been discontinued by its author, with the following explanation:
I decided to take down Sculptypaint site for the next few days.
Well there are a number of reasons. I love to create, and write creation tools, that I offer free to download as well. Love the positive response of the majority of people, but the same time.
- People threatning me in real life, that I filed a DMCA complain against.
- I got serious hate mail, about my software thats free to download for everyone.
- The way Linden act on DMCA and copyright infrigment.Like one person modified my artwork, removed my name and copyright, and have been selling my items for 6 months now.. Using an army of bots to get #1 in the search. I file a DMCA, wait 2 months, Linden removes the vendor boxes. And the next week the person is selling the same stuff again. I filed already 3 times in a row a DMCA takedown to this person, and still this person with ‘Payment info on file’ is running around in SL. Also selling other artist work.Another person has a huge record on selling stolen goods in sl, created by me and other artist. Selling stolen items for the last 12 months now, all the DMCA takedowns he received he calls just a joke. and continues this ‘bussiness’. The person got ‘payment info on file’ and his own sim.
- Yesterday I learned about the ‘mental mentors’ group in Second Life. This group is for mentors in Second Life, who’s goal is to help Newbie`s, educate teach, lead, guide and so on. Great..This group is rather big, about 800+ people/mentors.I found out several of my sculptpacks I sell are offered as freebee`s by the leader(s) of this group. For several months now.A ‘mentor starter pack’ is given out to all mentors, to help the helpless newbees in SL.I released my latest SFT-pack around 14 februari 2008. Only a few days later, this pack I created was repackaged, my copyright notices and TOS removed, (all the sculpties clearly state not for individual resell/repackage). The whole pack was distributed as a freebee pack too about 800+ mentors in SL, to use and to give away ‘to help the newbees’.If this group was called ‘robbers from SL’ I would not care a second, but from a mentor group.. Who`s goal to educate, teach, help and lead in SL?! unbelievable.
You must know, I only can continue developing Sculptypaint and other free creation tools by selling my work in SL.No income - no time - no coding - no tools - simple as that.I’m sick and tired about all this crap that sucks all the creative energy out of me, standing alone in the cold here for such a long time. So decided to put a statement here for the next few days. Hope you understand.
Have a nice day!
Elout de Kok - march 6, 2008SL: Cel Edman
We need to move away from picketing skin thieves (as obnoxious as they might be) and put our energy into developing a process which actually protects those creators like Elout/Cel from the assholes who exploit them and their talents.
So yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and put almost all of it up for sale. My thinking is I sell it and then buy an island - just think how much puttering I could do with an island!
Overnight I kept thinking that I would miss my neighbours. Where ever I buy land I seem to luck out with my neighbours. And I won't have any on an island.
Almost enough to make me think what I should do is sell part of my land and use the proceeds to buy up the rest of the sim where the garden is (the garden is now half a sim).
Too late. I accepted an offer on the garden. Boy it's tough. I have spent my entire SL life on that parcel - growing it, building on it, learning on it.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have almost 6000 objects to sort out in my inventory. :(
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Huh? My land is not damage enabled. I started to go back and then realized it really was my parcel. But it was damage enabled. It was also streaming music I hadn't chosen (I like my bird song). It was also listed in Search - not my decision. It had a new name too and a new description.
The name and description weren't totally unfamiliar to me - they belong to a large parcel on a nearby sim - not adjacent to me mind you - but on the other side of two large parcels.
And of course to make it even better - that parcel has a ..... shall we say more risque business and clientele than my little garden. A major part of the name is "Passion".
Now it's really early in the morning but I do recognize that this is out of the ordinary and conclude that a formal bug report is probably warranted. That means JIRA. I do not like JIRA. A less intuitive tool would be very hard to find.
And speaking of finding - I rarely can. Find JIRA that is. I wind up going to support and then searching on the term JIRA and then using a link in one of the responses.
I finally find it and login - and then find the "new issue" button and then start filling it in. I really don't think that my video card is playing any role in this situation - or my RAM but I'm easy to get along with and I fill the darn thing in.
Then I figure I should test a few things so I leave the report in the middle and go back and test with different viewers and the same things happens. So I change the category of the report cause there's no point blaming the new viewer.
Then I take a screen shot - cause maybe they'll believe me if I do. Not that I think you can see anything.
So I've told them everything I can think of and I submit the bug report. Then I hope something happens. Well an hour later something does.
Turns out this has been happening to people for months and the lindens can't fix it cause they can't duplicate it.
So somebody takes my carefully crafted report and merges it with an old one so it's not there anymore - all my hard work, grumble. Then they ask me how it happened - well how the hell do I know. I wasn't there.
Then I try to come in and use the soapbox of my blog to vent and make myself feel better - and get an error screen cause google is taking a vacation.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Went for a ride down the road today - it's been a long time since I've gone to check out the wider neighbourhood. Have to say things have improved over the past few months - fewer ad farms - very nice.
Couple of things occured to me:
- What the heck is Trilegy exactly?
- I understand that some people don't like to put a lot of info into their profiles - but the blank ones are annoying. Particularly if they've been here for a couple of years. I mean at least let me know if you have a sense of humour.
- On the other hand - the people that fill their profiles with instructions on how to behave to them - rules for dealing with them. They need to get a grip! I haven't seen one of them I wanted to get to know badly enough to try and write the entrance exam.