Saturday, September 3, 2011

This Castle Hath a Pleasant Seat? in Second Life

This castle hath a pleasant seat; the air Nimbly and sweetly recommends itself  Unto our gentle senses.
-- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Macbeth -- Act i, Sc. 6

King Duncan's comment is a fine example of irony - and the tendency we all have to not look below the surface. He may have thought he was going for a nice getaway in the country but Lady Macbeth had other plans.

Magnolioideae Palace had the same effect on me.  I saw this wonderful landscape and prepared to stroll casually about enjoying the scenery .... until I got a little closer.

Magnolioideae Palace  (moderate)

Based on the vehicles parked outside I think the German High Command has assumed control of this region.  I decided not to venture indoors - we've established already that I'm a coward and I can live with that.

I found evidence in the woods that there's a contingent of resistance fighters in the area.  I think I'll just avoid all of them and try to appreciate the view.  :)

Magnolioideae Palace  (moderate)

6 comments:

Caliburn Susanto said...

Photogenic place (on the outside anyway; inside the ballroom is stunning but the rest is empty, except for some incogruous junkola).

But I'm wondering -- why is the limo in your second pic translucent? Are you having transparency issues with V3? (because I definitely am)

Honour McMillan said...

@Cal LOL I don't know - that's what it looked like once everything else had finally rezzed so I just assumed the doors were supposed to look like that. :)

Caliburn Susanto said...

Hmmmm. Nope ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/calsusantopostitpics/6110193720/ ).

I've discovered it's the "Lighting and Shadows" checkbox. When that's checked all kinds of crazy things happen with objects that have transparency layers. Like a nearby tree may suddenly take on the texture of the rug you're standing on.

Anyway, on occasion you may want to toggle that on and off to see what it's affecting. Also, it seems that if you teleport away then back again the textures load properly (sometimes). ;-D

Honour McMillan said...

@Cal /me grins - couldn't I just consider it a special effect?

sigh, thanks for the tip - I'll click more buttons etc. in the future :)

Caliburn Susanto said...

That place makes me think of "Brideshead Revisited." Cool find.

Honour McMillan said...

@Cal Thank you! As usual I got lucky :)