I'm in the process of editing an image I hope will be a good weeping willow foliage texture (and by the way, just whose idea was it for me to do a willow? do you have any idea how many tiny leaves I have to outline with a 1 pixel brush?). Anyway - it's taking a while and that means an extended period of the proverbial stream of consciousness.
I've been watching as much of the Olympics as I can (which is a lot given the CBC/TSN/BOLD are broadcasting everything live and then repeating a lot of stuff while they're sleeping in China) - I'm a big believer in the Olympic ideals and I love the romance/emotion/ etc. of the competitions/spectacles. Was watching the swimming and saw a senior politician in the audience - one who will be out of a job soon. That led me to start thinking about legacies. And that led me to the following:
- I'm guessing that in 200 years if there isn't a SecondLife there will be a descendant of SecondLife.
- Resident profiles of SecondLife seem to stay in the database even when the resident's rl incarnation has died.
- Storage is becoming cheaper and cheaper so it wouldn't be a huge burden to keep all of us in the database.
- So it's possible that the profiles of Honour McMillan and all of you will still be accessible in 200 years.
- Maybe rather than just dropping off of the grid I should set up a "going away message" in my will. (gruesome I know, but think about it - there are some interesting possibilities there)
- Somebody would actually have to look up the profile to see the message - why would they do that?
- I make things - hopefully I get better and better at making things. These things aren't really tied to fads or fashion. I mean classic textures and plants could be used forever. Right?
- So is it possible that in 200 years there will be a Museum of Oddities with one of my trees in it? ("um quaint, not bad considering the technology they had back then").
- Is it possible that something I've made will be handed down and treated as an antique by some future resident? ("a genuine Honour McMillan? Wow! Have you read her profile?")
- Is it possible that I will have a legacy on the internet? I don't expect to have one in rl. Can it be that our av's will give us that kind of immortality?