Friday, November 28, 2008

I cook - OK?

I'm not going to start another blog so that my rl avatar can have her say - so forgive me please for these occasional words from my sponsor.

I love to cook - and I'm pretty good at it they tell me. However, recently I acquired (or just discovered) a long list of food intolerances. Think 'anything to do with a cow', eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, lots of fruits and lots of vegetables and (omg) sugar. Suddenly most of my library of recipes and cookbooks were superfluous. I think of myself as a vegan who can eat some meats but has to avoid most fruits and vegies.

I've become an experimenter in subsitutions and alternatives. So every now and then, when I'm doing some power cooking I'm going to have to share a few comments.

I love the person who gave me my extra coffee grinder - it makes great bread crumbs. :) And did you know there are places where they don't sell Spike? Check with your friends - would make a good present for the holidays. :)

Update: Got an IM asking what I was cooking that needed both bread crumbs and Spike. I'm roasting a large amount of cauliflower and broccoli. Tossed in olive oil and garlic and roasted at 425 for about 15 minutes (covered so the garlic doesn't burn). Then stir and toss in the bread crumbs (generously spiced with Spike) and roast til golden (another 10 to 15 uncovered). I freeze a lot of it to have when needed - I don't always have time to cook these days.

No comments: