Saturday, May 14, 2011

And They Say Girls Can't Do Math! The Art of Wizard Gynoid in Second Life

Fractalized Tensegrity Icosahedron (moderate)

You'd never know it from the state of my desk but I love order.  I enjoy precision and intricacy and, yes, even math.  Just don't ask me to script anything.  I was also one of those students who assured their teachers that I wouldn't need geometry when I grew up.  Somehow, I don't think Wizard Gynoid ever challenged the value of  studying  "the properties and relations of points, lines, surfaces, solids, and higher dimensional analogs".

The Art of Wizard Gynoid (moderate)

Wizzy is, apart from her obsessive interest in mathematical constructs, a seemingly perfectly normal artist (and if you don't recognize the inherent oxymoron in that statement then you haven't met many of them).  Her work is on display this month at UWA Virtlantis as part of the University of Western Australia's ongoing support for art on the grid.

The Art of Wizard Gynoid (moderate)

This exhibit covers a full sim and has as its centerpiece a Fractalized Tensegrity Icosahedron.  Really! All you builders now need to take a deep breath ..... This is perhaps one of the largest and most complex objects in Second Life. At almost 7,200 prims, the object is made up of 1,728 smaller Tensegrity Icosahedra.

And you thought aligning the walls of that house was tricky!

The Art of Wizard Gynoid (moderate)

There is colour and movement and beauty in these works.  All of the math teachers out there need to show Wizzy's installation to their students - it could make a big difference.

The rest of us have the opportunity to enjoy them for their artistry and technical wonder.  I strongly suggest you go visit the exhibit.  I'm not even going to try and figure out how she did it but I'm grateful it was done. :)

PS. Please remember I need your help with my SL8B Project.  I'll bake cookies!

The Art of Wizard Gynoid (moderate)

10 comments:

Brinda said...

Yes!
Art comes in many forms, and from many cultures.
Sadly I know there are those that will never experience the joy of seeing something simply because of contemp prior to investigation

Brinda said...

darn it...I can too spel.
wuts that preview tab for? :-)

Honour McMillan said...

/me grins You have no idea how many times I wind up fixing typos etc in these posts after they've been published. :)

sororNishi said...

Yep, hats off to Wizzy ... if only she'd taught me Maths at school instead of the dried up old fool I got as teacher.

Typos....yes!! same here.

Honour McMillan said...

@Soror LOL I actually liked the guy teaching me math - I just didn't believe him. :) Then decades later I encountered fractal geometry and fell in love, if they'd come up with it when I was young my life would have taken a very different path.

Anonymous said...

"Girl's" can do math....but can they do grammar? :-)

Honour McMillan said...

@Anonymous You mean you caught one of my many typos? lol

Wizzy Gynoid said...

i'm glad you appreciate fractal beauty. this is a direct quote from Prokofy Neva on the matter: "I personally don't consider fractals 'art'."

Honour McMillan said...

@Wiz well I'm certainly not an expert but then I don't consider Prok one either :)

Miso Susanowa said...

I too wish Wizzy had been my Maths teacher; life (and music) certainly would have been much easier!


@anonymous: Girls do Grammer when they get older :D